Friday, July 2, 2010

Droid does EVERYTHING.

So I was playing around with the apps on my Droid last night, and I found something called "Kindle for Android." So of course I immediately think: finally something to blog about!

My goal next time I have a saved-up chunk of change (oh, probably in ten years) is to invest in an e-book reader. I honestly don't think I'll really like it that much; like many other people, I'd much rather prefer old school "analog" books. However, getting started in the library and information technology world, it's probably best to experience first hand the options that are being created. Don't get me wrong, if I spend that much money it will get used...I'll just like books better. :)

Until then, apparently my Android cell phone can get me started. Instead of the Kindle app, I downloaded one called "Aldiko," because it had high reviews. Briefly browsing through the possible books to download, there are a lot of classics, comics, romance, western literature. I can search for a particular book within the system, and the time it takes to download a book is less than a few minutes. It is very interesting to look through, but I really can't see myself using it too often. Like I mentioned, I'd much rather go to a public library or bookstore and pick up a hard copy of a book instead of staring at a tiny screen and tapping it to "flip the pages." It might come in handy if I take the bus and need something to do or if I have a sudden urge to read Pride and Prejudice or Dracula, but other than that, lead me to the nearest bookstore please.

No comments:

Post a Comment